Geoff Blake geoff at palaemon.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 03:54:18 EST 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

> Hi, I dont know about other counties but the oad shedding is certainly still
> dont this way in the UK, BUT the incremental frequency adjectments are
> corrected for the mean daily frequency to be correvt at 06:00 in the
> morning.... so that all the clocks read correctly and we get to work on
> time!! Despite quartzz clocks I think this is still the case....it is
> probably enshrined in law in the UK. Also Our nominal voltage is 240v not
> the 230v decreed by the EU fortunately we can still be fed 240v within the
> tolarance allows otherwise my toaster would take forever. There is actually
> a considerable difference in the light output of a tungsten bulb over that
> range maybe that is why we are being forced into using "polluting"
> CFBs...nutting to do with time ...sorry pardon
> Great site Tom !!
> Alan G3NYK

Hi Alan, list,

I have no provenance for this, but two friends, one who is fairly
high up on the generation side, and the other who is an
engineering manager for a supply company both told me that since
deregulation the tolerances are much wider. This is in case of
frequency, voltage and quality of supply. Have you noticed that
power cuts seem to be rather more common than they ever used to be
in pre-deregulation days.