[time-nuts] 5370B practical question

Christophe Huygens christophe.huygens at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Feb 3 04:20:11 EST 2008

Thanks to everybody who provided info.

It is a  triggering issue, I think,
I have now found setting where the problem does occur
a lot less ( about 1 in 50 readings) - the preset trigger
level was at 0.02V not 0V, manual setting to 0 works - there
is now 1 slope that measures OK,  and slope is always 1Hz low.
I was not aware this was that critical, the learning curve
for a time-nut apprentice is pretty intimidating!

Christophe

for the archives:

- What is the input signal level?

3dbm, say 0.3V in 50 ohms

- Is the 5370 set for 50 ohm or 1 Megohm input impedance?

I was measuring with 1Megohm using external termination,
and I have now changed to 50 ohms. Both seem ok.

- Is the 5370 input set for 1x or 10x attenuation?

1x

- What trigger level setting are you using?

I was using preset, see above.

- What type of crystal oscillator does your 5370 use?

It is a standard 5370B serial 23XYZ, no options.

- Are you are comparing your VCXO's against this internal oscillator or
are you using an external standard?

The problem occurred both using the internal and external
(symmetricom Timsource 3100) reference.