[time-nuts] Clarification from a new member

Dennis Tillman dennis at ridesoft.com
Sun Feb 3 17:52:43 EST 2008

In my introductory email to the group, I mentioned that I was disappointed
in the GPS receiver I built from James Miller's design.

I must clarify what I said with apologies to James for any misunderstanding
I might have created about his design!

The receiver has an intermittent problem and I have not been able to track
down the cause. The measurement of time to this level of precision is new to
me. As of now, I have few pieces of test equipment suited to the task. What
I do have, I either built, or bought broken and repaired. The problems I am
experiencing with the GPS receiver are almost impossible to track down
because they are intermittent, they occur infrequently, and they involve
measurements to a level of precision I am not well equipped to make.

At this point, I do not know what is causing these brief losses of
stability. They last for less than a few minutes as near as I can tell. My
next step, which is to try to monitor the output voltage of the PLL and
correlate it with the loss of stability, requires a way to log voltages.
Unfortunately the two GPIB Digital Multimeters I own both broke before I
could do this. Until I know what part of my GPS receiver is causing the
trouble I should not speculate on the cause.

What I can say is that I followed James design to the letter. It uses the
Rockwell Jupiter TU30-D140 Receiver, James' PLL PCB, the IsoTemp OCXO134-10,
and a Symmetricom 58532 GPS L1 Reference antenna mounted on my roof and
connected to the receiver through low loss cable. The entire circuit is
professionally mounted into a Tektronix TM500 Prototyping Plug-in that is