[time-nuts] GPS Locked and Unlocked Performance Comparison

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Feb 12 21:47:13 EST 2008

Hi Kirby, Didier,

I agree, the short term performance (typically <200s or so) is almost
entirely determined by the OCXO performance itself.

That particular Miller OCXO is exceptionally good in terms of short  term
stability, I am surprised that the OCXO can perform so well <1000s  free-running.

For longer hold-over periods one would need to electronically compensate  for
Aging-drift, temperature compensation, and other drifts to establish  good
ADEV for intervalls >5000s or so, and this does not seem to be done  on the
Miller and Thunderbolt units.

Of course the Z3801A is the Grand-Daddy OCXO of them all. The Z3801A does
seem to have some short term noise issue compared to the others, maybe it's due
to the Sigma-Delta modulation on its DAC?

It seems that the measurement below 0.2s intervalls is limited by the
measurement equipment since all (except Z3801A) units seem to have identical
performance <0.2s intervalls?

bye,
Said

In a message dated 2/12/2008 16:57:28 Pacific Standard Time,