[time-nuts] Aging rate of crystals

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:50:00 EST 2008

This is a theory that I have been thinking about for some time.
A possible physical process for crystal ageing is the desorption of
water from
surfaces in the oscillator circuit.
Most solid surfaces, particularly those with oxygen in the molecular
structure,
have at least a monolayer of water over the surface.
In high vacuum laboratory work you bake glassware at 300*C for 4
hours in a
hard vacuum to remove this water to prevent future degassing.

When you have an oven with air interchange to the ambient, the
humidity in the oven becomes very low. For example air at 20*C and
65% RH
drops to 3.2% RH if heated to 80*C. (the vapour pressure of water is
still 1520 Pascals)

Relative humidity is a good predictor of the amount of moisture
absorbed and adsorbed
by a solid.
The heating of the oven reduces the relative humidity, so much water
would leave a surface
on warm-up but the last of the water is tightly bound and to reach a
thermodynamic equilibrium under
these conditions is very slow.

If the air at room temperature had the humidity reduced to 32.5%,
then the RH in the oven
would reduce to 1.6%, so the oscillator would still respond to the
change in humidity.

The main evidence to support this theory is that it is a plausible
physical process with
slow enough time constants and known hysteresis that could explain
the days it takes
for my HP 10811A to return to the control voltage it formerly
required to be on frequency
after it has been allowed to cool down for 2 days.
The best experiment I can think of to prove this is to run the
oscillator in a paper bag until it is stable,
then trickle a flow of dry nitrogen  into the bag for a day or two
and watch for oscillator drift as the humidity
in the oven drops to extremely low values.
It is a pity that I do not have bottled gas on tap any more.
cheers, Neville Michie