[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 04:55:03 EST 2008

Hi,
  I've come late to this thread and I'm not a programmer, however I do program. For small jobs I like the Microchip PIC range, cheap or free development tools, see the PicKit2 (they also do a nice serial (232, I2C SPI) debugger in the same format). Lots of pepole doing boards, but Microchip's own boards are cheap enough. For higher end stuff look at the Freescale ColdFire (Motorola 68K) stuff by Netburner. complete development package fot $99 (you don't HAVE to use the network bits).

  Robert G8RPI.

Patrick <optomatic at rogers.com> wrote:
  Hi Everyone

I just bought a book called "making things talk" from O'Reilly. I just
started reading it. The book looks fine but it appears that most of the
projects are based on the Arduino line of microcontroller modules and
they use the processing/wiring language. I am not crazy about learning
another language or using an IDE that shields me from details I ought to
know. I can program reasonably well in Python and I can get by with PHP
and C. I use Linux and am comfortable with it.

Is anyone out there using a similar product that can be programmed in
Python, PHP, C or another common language?

Thanks-Patrick

and follow the instructions there.