[time-nuts] Aging rate of crystals

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Feb 18 01:26:48 EST 2008

At the beginning of the E1938A project, I did a bunch of
characterization of 10811 oscillators.  At the Santa Clara
Division, we had first class environmental test chambers
with heating, cooling, humidification, de-humidification,
and nitrogen purge.  The nitrogen was also available for
fast cooling.  The 10811 response to humidity was very rapid,
like 10 or 15 minutes, almost as fast as the chamber
itself could ramp.  This occurred whether going from
dry to humid or the other way around.  I don't remember
seeing any slow "tails" on the response.  The immediate
humidity response was on the order of a month of aging,
so any humidity related aging effects would be masked.

Rick Karlquist N6RK