[time-nuts] favorite microcontroller module?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Feb 21 04:00:41 EST 2008

At 12:03 AM 2/21/2008, Chuck Harris wrote...
>I'm not arguing anything at all.  Assembler in the form of
>mov x,3000 meaning x=3000 has been around from the very beginning.

One could equally say "move 3000,x meaning x=3000." What's your point?

>Intel didn't need an excuse, they were the inventors, and Pascal is
>why they created the CS, DS, ES, SS architecture.

Repeating something doesn't make it so. Authoritative citations, please
(preferably contemporaneous with the release of the architecture, and
not current rationalizations).

>It would have been impossible for intel to put a 32 bit bus and
>register set on a processor like the 8086 back in 1978.

Yet only a year later, in 1979, Motorola introduced the 68000 with a
full 32 bit architecture.

>  It would have been impossible for any foundry at that
> time.  Motorola had the benefit of being a few years later on the
> design curve.

mov one,few

>Motorola's architecture may have been more elegant, but they lost on
>price vs. performance.

They lost for one reason, and one reason only. IBM chose to base the PC
architecture on Intel.