[time-nuts] No Echo

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Feb 23 09:31:21 EST 2008

Sylvain RICHARD said the following on 02/23/2008 08:59 AM:

> In my case, most of the delay comes from my ISP (free.fr). Neville, just
> do the same on your machine.
> Please note that the usual caveat (is your server time set correctly?)
> does not apply our case.

There is also some queuing delay at meow.febo.com, also known as
febo.com or www.febo.com.  Normally, messages are processed pretty
quickly -- I usually see time-nuts postings within 15 or 20 seconds
after the message hits the list -- but there can be delays if the
machine is busy, and particularly if there are several list messages
being processed in a short time span.

There's also a retry delay if message delivery from febo.com to the next
hop fails.  The delay is something like an exponential backoff that can
extend out to hours between retries; the system keeps trying to deliver
a message for up to 4 days.

And, for what it's worth, meow.febo.com is a stratum 2 NTP server that
gets its time from one of my 4 internal stratum 1 servers (one each with
system oscillator and PPS clock from GPSDO, WWVB, LORAN, and Cesium).
http://www.febo.com/time-freq/ntp/stats/clients/index.html shows its
performance as measured by the Cesium-based monitoring server.

John