[time-nuts] xtal oscillator phase noise

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Jan 1 15:39:29 EST 2008

In the HP 10816 Rb frequency standard, we used a modified
10811 oscillator circuit.  The oscillator and first buffer
amplifier transistor were the same, but the rest of the
buffer amplifier was replaced with a cascaded grounded
base buffer amplifier.  We were able to get numbers comparable
to those shown below.  The ultimate limit at large offsets
(as Burgoon's patent teaches) is determined by the crystal
current, which has to overcome the shot noise of the grounded
base buffer.  The 10811 uses 1 mA RMS crystal current.  You
can turn this up and get even better phase noise, but then
you might degrade the stability of the crystal.  The stock
10811 has an output circuit that degrades the phase noise.
There are various reasons for why this was done including
backward compatibility with the 10544.  Few, if any, HP
instruments would actually benefit from the extremely low
phase noise.  The 10816 was different, since it was meant
to be sold as a component, not used in an HP instrument,
and we could advertise the spec.  Unfortunately, the 10816
project was cancelled by new management after the pilot
run.

BTW, Rob Burgoon, one of the designers of the HP 10811,
is going to retire from Agilent this month.

Rick Karlquist N6RK