[time-nuts] 35601A as stand-in for 11848A ?

BriMDavis at aol.com BriMDavis at aol.com
Sat Jan 5 21:04:50 EST 2008

John Miles wrote:

>I have a 35601A, although I've never done anything with it.

Did you happen to spot any service/calibration manuals
for the 35601A? I haven't found anything online yet, but one
of the manual dealers I checked lists a hard copy.

> It seems to be very much hardwired to work in a 3047A system,
> with the particular analyzer model(s) and software controller that entails.

 I've never used the older 3047a, but the impression I have from the
catalog info I've found so far is that the 3048a updated to the newer
3561a for narrowband analysis and added more internal sources
to the 11848a for convenience; I'm hoping that much of the basic
signal path for calibration and quadrature lock was left alone.

>The 11729B/C plus an 8662A (or even an 8640B) has everything most
> people will ever need for PN measurement.

 I need to measure things that are lower close in than the 11729/8662a
combo noise floor; i.e. OCXO, direct synthesis from OCXO, amp/divider
residual noise floors, down to 1-10 Hz offsets.

Said wrote:

>Renting/buying a E5052A or TSC5120A does get to  be expensive

How many significant digits are there in a 5120A price quote?

That doesn't go high enough for everything I need to do, but
looks much handier for <30 Mhz

thanks,
Brian