[time-nuts] 20logN was Re: phase noise questions (long)

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Wed Jan 23 18:47:05 EST 2008

Christophe -

While all of the mathematics to prove the 20logN behavior can be found in
most elementary texts, the concept of what is really happening may not be so
obvious from the math, even though the math of course supports the 20logN
behavior. You, yourself said it in your assumption in 2a. When a carrier is
phase modulated by a single frequency you do get the +/- sidebands about the
carrier as stated. The sidebands have two items contributing to the
sidebands location and their amplitude. Their location is due to the
frequency of modulation, and their amplitude to the deviation of that
frequency about the carrier. When doubled, the carrier is doubled but the
modulation frequency remains the same, yet the deviation is also doubled,
hence the 6 dB increase relative to the carrier of said sideband amplitude,
or the level it was before. This was a very common way to get increased
deviation in WWII military radios. They started out at a low frequency and
FM modulated it one way or another, however with a resultant low deviation.
After numerous multiplier stages to get to the final frequency, the
deviation was sufficient to recover adequate audio in the receivers
discriminator, yet the audio frequency was the same as initially injected.
Regards - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731