[time-nuts] Z3801A performance plots

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 25 18:33:36 EST 2008

> Here I put the two runs in color on the same plot:
> http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/z3801a/z3801a-free-lock.gif

That's an interesting graph.

I find it strange that the free-running system is better than the locked
system in the range from 50 to 5000 seconds.

Does that mean the filter needs a longer time constant?  Or is there
something fundamental about systems like this that makes graphs with that
sort of pattern?

How much did they understand about things like this graph when the Z3801A was
shipped?