[time-nuts] Rb references for audiophiles?

Christian Vogel vogelchr at vogel.cx
Fri Jul 4 12:59:51 EDT 2008

> ESOTERIC - G-0Rb MASTER CLOCK GENERATOR (RUBIDIUM)
…“esoteric”…

While I realize the absurdity of hooking up such a thing to your
CD player at home, there can be merits of having a centrally generated
and extremely accurate clock in a professional audio/video production
facility. When you are passing around digital audio and video signals
between production desks in different rooms or even countries,
missing drift can eliminate the need for special resampling equipment
(frame stores for video).

> which oddly, is actually made by a division of Teac
> http://www.teac.com/esoteric/
> http://www.teac.com/esoteric/Master-Clock_Up-Converter.html

> There's also this:
> http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1304280

…that's proably also where it originates at TEAC, my guess is that they
modified a professional device to fit into the audiophile market.

> Fascinating, too, that they don't actually have any real data on the
> jitter performance of their box on the spec sheet.. even though that's
> what they're selling.. they just quote the absolute frequency accuracy.

I'd say you don't get the concept of “Audiophile Equipment” here! :-)
It doesn't matter what the measurement says as long as you can hear it,
the sound is more vivid and… you get the idea.

	Chris

(who get's his 48kHz wordclock by dividing 18.4 MHz from a can oscillator
 by 348 with a AVR microcontroller…)