[time-nuts] Rb references for audiophiles?

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 4 20:34:36 EDT 2008

Quoting Greg Burnett <gbusg at comcast.net>, on Fri 04 Jul 2008 11:54:35 AM PDT:

> ---Jim wrote:
> ...they had the special speaker cables with the arrows to indicate
> preferred direction of power flow, too....)
> ---clip---
>
> Jim, "directional" audio interconnect cables typically have two conductors
> for the signal path, plus a shield. The shield is connected at only the
> "destination" end of the cable. This is similar to some low-level
> instrumentation connections (where the signal flows through two inner
> conductors, and we don't want the shield contributing to circulating AC
> ground currents).

That one I'm familiar with.. (SpaceWire cables, for instance, have 4
shielded twisted pairs, 2 in each direction, with the shields grounded
at the sending end for each pair of pairs)...

These were just plain old two (gold/palladium plated) pins for each
"cable" (granted, the cable is some complex braided combination of
silver ribbons, which is a fairly exotic form of Litz wire, I
assume... but no shield)