[time-nuts] Rb references for audiophiles?

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Fri Jul 4 21:08:02 EDT 2008

Talking about magnets and skin depth, I recall an incident back in the early
to mid 60's. I was living on Long Island at the time and had many friends
who worked at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Needless to say I had numerous
tours of the facility. At one time I was given a tour of the cryogenic lab,
and was shown a magnet that they were using. To my surprise the magnet was
wound with un-insulated wire. Naturally I had to ask about that, and was
told that at cryogenic temperatures the contact resistance is so much higher
than the actual wire resistance that they do not bother. This way they
claimed they could get more turns on a given solenoid. Another interesting
thing was an LC at cryogenic temperatures. This thing was oscillating on its
own, after it was excited. I guess the Q must have approached infinity with
such a low R. It was interesting. - Mike

Mike B. Feher, N4FS
89 Arnold Blvd.
Howell, NJ, 07731
732-886-5960