[time-nuts] Thunderbolt observations

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 16:34:28 EDT 2008

I have modified my Thunderbolt data dumper program to be a (not ready for prime time) control program/ real time data grapher.  A few initial observations:

The PPS ns error number curve basically mirrors the DAC voltage curve... one goes up,  the other goes down.

The PPS error and DAC voltage curves show instantaneous discontinuities whenever the satellite constellation changes (which for me can be from a few to dozens of times per hour).

The OSC ppb error number graph looks like spikey noise.  The envelope basically tracks the DAC voltage curve.

The temperature curve looks sine wavey (probably tracking air conditioning cycles).  There are occasional (mayby a couple per hour) 50 millidegree or so instantaneous positive spikes in the data that then decay over 30 seconds back to the original smooth curve.  These occur on all three units that I have (Rev 2.2 and 3.0 firmware,  different types of power supplies on each one).

A dozen or so self surveys produced latitude and longitude values spread over 0.00001 degrees (1 meter).  The altitude values were spread over 7 meters.