[time-nuts] Thunderbolt and USB to RS232 converters

Christian Vogel vogelchr at vogel.cx
Sun Jul 6 17:07:58 EDT 2008

Hi Bob,
> A tip for anyone that might be designing software.  Don't put a fixed limit
> on the USB virtual COM ports like 1 to 16.  Make a pull down that show
> what ports are really populated via the SetupDI API.  The next new USB
> COM port I plug into my development machine is going to be assigned
> COM44!
>
> Anyone know where in the registry to reset the ever incrementing
> new COM number?

Control-Panel -> System -> Tab: Hardware -> Device Manager

In the device manager, choose "View: Show hidden devices." The grayed
out devices have once been, but are no longer, connected to your
machine. Remove the ones that you no longer care about. You can also
remap the comport-numbers in the properties of the serial port devices,
use the button "Advanced..." there.

These are the things that make me happy to be using Linux for most of my
electronics stuff ;-)...

    Chris