[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Controllers

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 05:42:12 EDT 2008

My pendulum produces pulses at a rate of one per second.
That signal clocks a latch that samples the less significant bits of
my reference oscillator  (100kHz or 1MHz)
in a counter.
The latched values drive a 12 bit D-A converter (a R - 2R chain).
So I have a phase signal updated every second, and which resolves 10
or 100 microseconds.
The data logger samples this every 10 seconds or so and so logs a
graph of drifting phase.
The data from the logger can then be used in a spread sheet to
analyse periodicity
of fluctuations and correlation to barometric pressure and temperature.
When barometric pressure and temperature are successfully eliminated
by compensating
the pendulum, I hope to only have planetary resonances, gravity tides
and noise disturbing my clock.
Currently I have a 1MHz OCXO driving the system, but it drifts
significantly.
This is a home brew oven, running at about 40*C, consuming about
250mW, quite easy to
back up with a 12V battery.
The HOBO data logger has 4 inputs of 0 - 2.5 volts and 12 bit
resolution, and it runs
for 4 years on a lithium cell.
It takes a lot more power to run a computer, and then you have to
reboot after each power
interruption, and so I have not found it worth while to get a machine
just for the project.

But the overall check of the system is to compare clock time with UTS
once in a while
to cover the chance of slipped seconds. At the present time I use WWV
when I can find it,
but what I would really like is a clock showing UTS in a form that
can be compared to a clock.
That means one second audible pips and a marker on the minute. Just
seeing numbers
rolling over on a computer is not good enough to check the timing of
the second hand of
the clock. You need ear - eye coordinated signals. With WWV I can
compare to 1/20th of a second.

Although I have programmed systems in a variety of languages in my
working life, the only
languages that have stuck are Fortran and Basic. All the rest are
forgotten after a year or two.
I do not wish to start again to learn a new system just for one task,
and it is obvious that there
are so many micros abroad and none of them is going to be universally
useful for future tasks.

cheers, Neville Michie