[time-nuts] Thunderbolt and USB to RS232 converters

Bob Paddock bob.paddock at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 22:46:47 EDT 2008

On Monday 07 July 2008 02:10:35 am David Smith wrote:

> > I'm aware of those, but the next new USB serial device you plug in will
> > still be the next higher number.  It is the counter for this number I've
> > not been able to locate.
>
> I've just sorted this problem on another thing I was doing, although I
> was only up to COM14!
>
> It seems there are "hidden" hidden devices.  Have a look at this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539

"Been There Done That", some time ago, but thanks for reminding me.
I want to get all of these tips on my website related to this USB COM port
saga.

> Note that even plugging the same USB-RS232 converter into another USB
> port on a hub will create a "new" COM port.

I've dug into it enough that I understand why, but I'm still looking for where
that "new" COM port number is coming from.  Still trying to find that
counter.

--
                http://www.wearablesmartsensors.com/
 http://www.softwaresafety.net/ http://www.designer-iii.com/