[time-nuts] Re Frequency divider design critique request

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jul 11 12:58:56 EDT 2008

In message <FBCMFE02B166E20bh6H00052c1b at FBCMFE02B16.fbc.local>, Marco IK1ODO -2
 writes:

>Life was ideated by J.H. Conway in 1970. See
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life . Fascinating
>(to me) as it was 27 years ago. Sorry for the OT!

Actually, the idea is much older (WWII), and like so much else,
comes from the productive mind of John Von Neumann:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_cellular_automata
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_Universal_Constructor

And where Conway was merely toying with computers, JVN was plotting
how to mine all the metals in the moon :-)

Poul-Henning