[time-nuts] Old Loran

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jul 13 15:13:04 EDT 2008

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Old Loran
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:55:40 +0000

> In message <006001c8e50d$0bb1b3f0$6401a8c0 at BACKROOM>, "Max Robinson" writes:
> >Hal Murray wrote.
> >>Does anybody know anything about early Loran?
> You should find and read J.A.Pierce's book in the radiation lab series,
> it explains how all the WWII systems works, then read his memoir (it
> used to be on the web), that explains (lightly) Omega, Loran-A..C
> It was news to me that a LORAN-D was ever worked on, but Dave Mills
> thesis may also have been the only work ever done on it.

Considering the modernizing of LORAN-C with data subcarrier and modernized
transmitter equipment it could be argued that it to some degree is a LORAN-D.

Would love to learn more on Omega and Loran-A through D.

I enjoyed the info on the Russian woodpecker online (google, it is great fun
and not something you just arbitrarilly have on the back yard).