[time-nuts] Thunderbolt SV and AMU Signal levels

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 19:25:59 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM, David Ackrill <dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Sorry to be a bore, but like any kid with a new toy I'm facinated by the
> changing values on the display...
>
> What do the values under SV and AMU mean?

SV = space vehicle. mostly irrelevant, unless you care about the
serial number of the bit of metal up there. Usually people mean to say
PRN, or Pseudo-Random Noise code number - one of the 32 codes
transmitted by the satellite.

AMU is Amplitude Measurement Unit. Trimble's signal strength measurement.

> Maybe I should recognise them from other GPS satellite days, but they
> don't seem to be values that I remember.
>
> I'm sure it all means that they are to the north, south, east or west of
> here and to do with signal strength to my location or how good, or bad,
> the lock to the satellites is..  But, nothing that I can remember, to be
> honest...

You're thinking of azimuth and elevation.