[time-nuts] driving cheap clock motors

Mark Amos mark.amos at toast.net
Tue Jul 29 20:32:10 EDT 2008

Neon John,

I did something similar to what you're talking about.

I wanted an analog output for a GPSDO/clock (originally based on a Brooks Shera design, but recently upgraded to a
Thunderbolt.) I use the 1PPS GPSDO output to drive a CD4093 Schmidt trigger, which clocks a D flip flop.  I use the outputs
of the flip flop to drive the coil that I disconnected from the cheap on-board crystal driven clock circuit. This one (like
most of the cheap plastic movements) uses one coil - it's input reverses polarity each second.  I used an inexpensive "open
frame" clock movement with all the gears exposed to add some aesthetic interest.  It's also an "open loop"
design - I set the time according to WWV and plug in the BNC connector between the 1 second ticks.  The Schmidt trigger and
flip flop are wired up on a little perfboard powered from a wall wart.  I'm way overdriving the motor coil, but other than
maybe make it a little louder, doesn't seem to be a problem.  I've mounted the movement in a cheap lacquered box.  It looks
pretty nice. (I don't claim that it's the cheapest, best, neatest, coolest or anything elsest.  But it was fun and quick to
put together, it works and it met my budgetary constraints...)

It's on one side of my office on a shelf. On the opposite wall is a La Crosse "atomic" radio.  People are amazed when they
hear the two of them ticking in synchrony. Then I turn on WWV and they're even more amazed.  Of course, when I tell them
how it all works, they look at me like I'm Doc Brown explaining a the quantum chromodynamics of a flux capacitor...

Of course, when I tell them about some of the stuff the serious time-nuts use for time keeping they start to get that
glazed look...

Mark

Message: 9