[time-nuts] PCB design questions thread II

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Jun 2 14:49:08 EDT 2008

For one-off PCBs, I've had good luck with www.batchpcb.com .  They work by
panelizing different orders together, so it can sometimes take a month or
more to get your board back.  That's especially true of 4-layer boards,
since it takes longer for them to accumulate enough 4-layer orders to make a
panel.

SMD is not hard to work with by hand, down to 0603 or thereabouts depending
on eyesight and/or equipment.  I find it easier to deal with than
through-hole, frankly.  There are plenty of different ways to solder SMD
ICs, ranging from toaster ovens and heat guns to creating deliberate bridges
which you clean up with solder wick.

-- john, KE5FX