[time-nuts] PCB design questions thread II

christopher hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Mon Jun 2 20:04:12 EDT 2008

John Miles wrote:
> For one-off PCBs, I've had good luck with www.batchpcb.com .

I agree.  I've used them once and have been happy with the
results, you just can't be in any hurry.  Unfortunately,
there's no indication of how long it will take a priori.

> SMD is not hard to work with by hand, down to 0603 or thereabouts
> depending on eyesight and/or equipment.  I find it easier to deal
> with than through-hole, frankly.

I agree with the first part, but I actually find SMD to be easier
than T/H, if you stick with 0603 and larger for the passives.  I
find SMD not only easier but quite bit a faster.

SMD IC packages are easy once you get the hang of them, but a
microscope is needed for inspecting and fixing fine pitched parts.
(I think this is a bit of surprise to some folks.)

Personally I *hate* turning boards over and clipping leads.

And I'd much rather layout SMD than T/H.

-ch