[time-nuts] Thunderbolt

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jun 4 03:55:40 EDT 2008

From: "Tom Van Baak" <tvb at LeapSecond.com>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Thunderbolt
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:49:52 -0700

Tom,

> > I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how the tboltmon can be
> > able to log the measuements form a 53132 and what the setup there could be.
> > I don't have a 53132 but the CNT-90 has a 53132 compatibility mode... but it
> > does not grey out the controls for that. How do I get that cooking?
>
> Set a second serial port for the counter. Use the 53131/53132 to
> measure your UUT (1PPS) vs. the TBolt (1PPS). TBoltMon then
> does sawtooth correction and logs the result. Rick's CNS TAC32
> program does a similar thing. I think the 53132A is simply set to
> talk only mode (does the CNT-90 do that too?) I'm not near my
> lab now, or else I'd be more specific.

Ah... the CNT-90 has GPIB and USB but no serial port. Maybe if I hook up the
USB port then. I don't recall a talk only mode thought. However, the Tboltmon
does have GPIB address fields. I have NI VISA for a NI PCMCIA GPIB board, but
that does not seem to make it happy.

I could borrow a 53132A for test.

If worse comes to worse I simply have to log the CNT-90 separately, but it
would be neat to run it as a combined application.

Eventually I would need a different application anyway. There is more things
to log.

> > Trimble's site seems not to provide all the info any more. If someone has the
> > appnotes etc. I would apprechiate that. Basically any info beyond the manual
> > and tboltmon which had alternative links from tom's page.
>
> I figured that over the next few months the group will come up
> with all sorts of additional information on our own.

I am sure we will. :D

Cheers,
Magnus