[time-nuts] USB to Serial Connectors for GPS Modules

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Thu Jun 5 19:10:54 EDT 2008

Quoth Ulrich Bangert at 2008-06-05 13:58...

> consider the latency times of ANYTHING on a USB provided virtual serial
> connection to be in the order of 1 ms. If no serial data is send but
> only status signals change their state the latency can even be higher.

Thanks (and to the others who responded to this).  Just wanted to know
where I was.

I will make sure that I've got "real" serial ports with "real" kernel
drivers for timing applications and use USB only for non time-critical
stuff, like control messages, etc. (given a module with with 2 serial
ports and only 1 port available on the house computer, for instance.)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/