[time-nuts] quick and very dirty phase comparator

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Mon Jun 9 20:57:03 EDT 2008

time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 06/04/2008 08:05:16 PM:

> WB6BNQ wrote:
> > Ulrich,
> >
> > One of things I noticed when playing with that DDS design
> tool is you can achieve
> > the same output frequency using a different clock frequency,
> thus removing the
> > spurs.  THe trick is to look at clock frequencies that you
> can lock to your house
> > reference for stability.  Also, it might be possible to use
> cascading DDS chips,
> > one providing the clock for the other.
> >
> > What are the thoughts on such an approach ?
> >
> > Bill....WB6BNQ
> >

> > Ulrich Bangert wrote:
> >

> Cascaded DDS systems together with PLLs have been widely investigated:
> See US patents: 4965533, 5028887, 5146186, 5216389, 5467294, 5517156,
> 5598440. 7143125
>

> It's much better to use a DDS that employs noise shaping techniques to
> shift the spur energy to higher offset frequencies that are easily
> cleaned up by a PLL.

A question occurs to me.  Perhaps we can turn this upsidedown.  While the
DDS won't necessarily generate the frequency we want without spurs, can't
we set the DDS to generate a nearby frequency that is free or sufficiently
free of nearby spurs?  We may not be able to get nice power-of-ten phase
amplification ratios, but we will know the ratios we do get quite
precisely.

Joe Gwinn