[time-nuts] cesium clocks..

wje wje at quackers.net
Fri Jun 27 19:40:56 EDT 2008

Yes, but my comment is rather specific... my oscillator failed because
the heater pass transistor shorted.
This sent the oven heater into full-on. The overtemp sensor is far
removed from the heater. There's a ribbon cable between the driver board
and the temp bridge sensor board that runs directly over the heater, not
outside the oven insulation. Net result, transistor shorts, cable fries
before overtemp fuse opens. There's no reason the cable should be inside
the oven insulation.
My rebuild fix - (after removing all the carbonized foam insulation)
refoam the oven, replacing the cable and transistor, and moving it
outside the foam!
While I respect in general the brilliance of HP engineers, my classmate
was one, this isn't one of the more intelligent decisions.

Bill Ezell
They said 'Windows or better'
so I used Linux.