[time-nuts] Home built Ammonia cell std !! / Home built cesiumclocks???

John Franke jmfranke at cox.net
Sun Jun 29 12:20:28 EDT 2008

Now that is something I am interested in doing.  I finally secured use of a
diffusion pump at a local university and expect to be making my first sealed
all-glass absorption cells this fall.  The ammonia pressure needs to be
around 8-10 microns.  I will be trying for a double pass cell giving a pass
length between 10 and 12 feet.  The first ammonia atomic clock used a path
length of 33 feet.  The cell was made from waveguide and did not hold a
charge due to leaks or the ammonia reacting with the gold plated waveguide.
I believe the best ammonia based standard was only good to 10 ^ -8 in
frequency stability.

John WA4WDL