[time-nuts] PC Clock adjustments

David Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 07:31:18 EDT 2008

David Ackrill wrote:
> Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>
>> Automatic adjustment of the clock rate to minimise power is incompatible
>> with accurate timekeeping.
>>

> Thanks for the responce Bruce,
>
> I don't think the newer PC has that facility, and the load on it is not
> all that great normally.

AH!  It does have a utility calld "Cool n' Quiet, and it seems that can
only be dissabled in the BIOS, from what I have read.

I also have installed the RightMark CPU Clock Utility, to try and get a
grip on what is going on.

Throttling seems to be enabled, the difference between the Core Clock
and the 'Throttle' seems not that great.

Also, the older machine (running Windows 2000 pro) also seems to have
Cool n' Quiet on it, so I'm wondering if this is having such a great
effect on the XP machine?

Anyway, at least I know more about the motherboards and operating
systems in both my PCs now.  :-)

Dave (G0DJA)