[time-nuts] Another Trimble Tbolt question....

Rob Kimberley rk at timing-consultants.com
Sat Mar 29 11:00:22 EDT 2008

Mike,

A quick answer to this - two reasons why...

1) Your Thunderbolt is using WGS84 coordinate system and not USGS, and..
2) The altitude fix is usually the most inaccurate parameter, as it is very
unlikely that you have a GPS bird directly overhead. Think of your position
fix as you sitting inside a sphere of probability. In the ideal world with
perfect GPS geometry it would be a sphere, but in reality it is an ellipsoid
due to less accuracy in the Z plane.

Why, after setting (and assuming storing) a known accurate position it
changes again, I don't know, unless the unit is reverting to a survey mode.

I don't know this product intimately, so I'm sure others will proffer better
suggestions.

Rob Kimberley