[time-nuts] sub cables

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Thu May 1 19:28:58 EDT 2008

That brings back memories...

When I was in high school (1970's), I was a member of an Explorer
Post (related to Boy Scouts) that specialized in electrical engineering.

The host was the AT+T facility that manufactured the repeaters for
their undersea cables (now owned by Tyco I think).

One of the things we did there, which was perhaps the single most
valuable work experience I've ever had, was to be trained by their
folks in proper soldering technique, and their QA folks in ensuring
that everything is "just so".  When I went to work for Navy years
later, I was surprised that their soldering training didn't seem to
be any better.

To this day, when installing thru-hole components, I count the number
of cut off leads and verify it matches the correct count.

Other than the assembly clean rooms, we pretty much had free run of
the plant; especially the test labs.  Imagine that today?

As for everything being altitude tested, that makes sense.  One of
the tests you run to make sure the repeater is waterproof is to pull
a vacuum on it and hold it for a while.  If your components outgas
badly the test will be invalid/erroneous, and if they are damaged by
vacuum that would be worse.

As an example, some CD-R's don't like being put under vacuum...they
delaminate...then do bad things when spun up.  That makes CDR
recorders potentially a bad choice for use in underwater systems.

Something to think about it you try and put something like a cesium
or rubidium into an unmanned underwater vehicle.  It might be room
temperature and pressure when being used, but during testing it might
not...

Tom Frank