[time-nuts] Fast frequency counting question

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun May 4 17:09:16 EDT 2008

From: Henk ten Pierick <henk at deriesp.demon.nl>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Fast frequency counting question
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:08:49 +0200

> Hi,
>
> My first choice would be the HP533130A. The HP533130A is a
> interpolating counter with a scope-like display. It has the
> resolution you need. The resolution is determined by the time/div
> setting and the vertical scale. It divides the horizontal display
> time in 250 or 450 time slots, depending on time or frequency
> measurements. In a slot, the first sampled edge is timed, the rest
> counted. edge timing is done as 5370 and 53131/2. Sampling can be set
> manual or automatic. If you understand the working principle, it is a
> fantastic instrument. If time/div is to long you are losing
> bandwidth, if it is to short noise increases. Read the manual. The
> reference is very clean. Also available is the HP53305 software via
> gpib.

The HP53310A (which I think you are really refering to) has a single shot
resolution of 200 ps which is not sufficient for this. For this application
single-shot resolution and jitter is really THE limiting factor.
I will see if my Wavecrest can handle it. I can test-fire against HP 5372A and
CNT-90 too.

I have never thought of the first ms or so as being critical, so I have never
bothered to measure it. Interesting problem. :)

Cheers,
Magnus