[time-nuts] Measuring 10 MHz accurately: correction

Tom Duckworth tomduck at comcast.net
Thu May 8 03:14:02 EDT 2008

To all, regarding measurement a 10 MHz signal to parts in E-12.

Here is one way which I believe I had sent a while ago:

You will need the following test equipment:
Traceable 10 MHz Frequency Standard (GPS disciplined Rubidium, Cesium, etc.)
40 GHz Synthesized Signal Generator
40 GHz Frequency Counter with 12 digits of resolution at 40 GHz (1/10 Hz
resolution).

Setup. Connect the equipment as follows. The 10 MHz signal from the
traceable Frequency Standard is connected to the Synthesizer's external
reference input. Set the output of the Synthesizer to 40 GHz (or the highest
frequency that the test counter can count). Connect the Synthesizer output
signal to the microwave input of the test counter. Connect the '10 MHz Out'
signal from the DUT to the 'External Reference Oscillator Input' on the test
counter. Set the resolution on the test counter to display the greatest
resolution possible.

This method effectively multiplies-up the traceable Frequency Standard's 10
MHz output to a traceable 40 GHz signal into the test counter's microwave
input (with the accuracy of the frequency standard). The accuracy of the
test counter's readout of this 40 GHz signal is now dependant on the
accuracy of the 10 MHz in the DUT.

To interpret the counter's readout of the 10 MHz DUT, a reading of:
40.000 000 000 1 GHz is equivalent to 2.5 parts in 10E-12
40.000 000 003 GHz is equivalent to 7.5 parts in 10E-11
40.000 000 023 GHz is equivalent to 5.8 parts in 10E-10
40.000 000 040 GHz is equivalent to 1 part in 10E-9
40.000 000 800 GHz is equivalent to 2 parts in 10E-8
40.000 006 000 GHz is equivalent to 1.5 parts in 10E-7; etc.

Tom
Tom Duckworth
510-886-1396