[time-nuts] HP 5370B - DEFINITIONS

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sat May 10 13:49:24 EDT 2008

Henk ten Pierick wrote:

> In my view precision and accuracy have the same meaning and here is a
> mix up between accuracy and resolution.
> The 5370 has a resolution of 1ps but the accuracy is much lower. Say
> the 20ps stated above.
> Thus, in my view,  there is no difference between precision and
> accuracy, but between accuracy and resolution there is.
>
> Henk

Henk,

I disagree with your definitions.

Resolution addresses the smallest increment that can be discerned.

Precision addresses how well one is able to make repeated measurements to the
provided resolution.

Accuracy addresses how well a measurement coincides with an acceptably understood
and agreed upon reference.

Bill....WB6BNQ