[time-nuts] Strange reports of bocked messages to timenuts

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat May 17 13:03:24 EDT 2008

> From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby at onetel.net>

> Quite possible. The "From" field shows  postmaster at sgrsil31.onetel.net.
> uk, but I'm well aware that does not always tell the truth.

It's reasonably common for email to go out with things like "postmaster" (no
@someplace) in them.  It's not supposed to happen, but it does.

Before they send a message out, mail systems are supposed to add their own
@local.domain to any names without a domain.  The bounce message case often
falls through the cracks.

It's reasonably common for receiving systems to add their @local.domain to
any addresses that don't have a domain.  That normally does the right thing
(fixes up local names) but it adds confusion in cases like this where the
other mail system screwed up.

If postmaster at someplace is not your local domain, it's probably believable.
(but spammers forge things all the time)  If it is yours, be very suspicious
unless the rest of it looks like your system telling you about troubles with
a message you sent.