[time-nuts] Thoughts on IR thermometers?

Patrick optomatic at rogers.com
Tue May 27 23:31:49 EDT 2008

Hey Everybody

I tried to use a cheap IR thermometer to do some quick, pre-circuit
analysis tests, a couple of years ago on a particular job.

It went bad, the laser did not even line up with the area being
measured, I missed a burning hot capacitor and wasted a lot of time.

I was thinking about buying a better one this time. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Do you think they are useless for PCB tests? Caps should
not be hot and power resistors and transistors should not be cold right?
but the spot size to laser ratio on most of these are not good, are they
still useful?

I had a hell of a time trying to read my Son's temperature last night
when he had a fever, anyone tried one of these out on their children?

Thanks in advance-Patrick