[time-nuts] 468-DC NBS Time receiver

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed May 28 23:12:57 EDT 2008

I have two of those beauties NIB (except for the razor slit where the
manual
was removed) and one of the antennas, but no down convertor. TVB had
enough
data on his site that it didn't look likely that it could be reused as
any
kind of slave display without rewriting EPROM code.

There are people on this list who find that exercise trivial, but I'm
not
one of them. But I can't bear to throw anything out that was once
useful.
I'm willing to give it away to a good home, though.

If there is hope for using that fine receiver, I'd love to hear about
it.

Normally, I might prioritize such a project into the sub-basement level,
but there's a big Veit truck parked near a man-hole one house away from
me.
A fault in a 30" storm sewer drain line into our pond caused a sinkhole
that threatened to swallow the neighbor's riding mower. So the City
hired
Veit to fix it by inserting a thermosetting plastic liner into the 150
foot
section of pipe that was failing. Can't have people falling into sink
holes.

Seemed simple enough, but they couldn't get the pond end of the pipe
dry,
so they built a plywood coffer dam and started pumping it out. They
started
the thermoset process at about 4 PM, with rain forecast for tomorrow.
The
pond pump and the hot water truck were still running at 8:30, so I asked
politely if we were going to get any sleep tonight.

Well, he says, we're recycling 180 F water through the boiler truck and
we've reached 180. Now we have to hold for two hours and then cool it
down.
We ought to be out of here by 1 AM. At 10 PM, the house has a
strengthening
smell of thermosetting plastic as the wind dies, and the noise is still
semi-continuous. I'm trying to attain an altered state where I don't
care,
and going through my favorite mailing list.

Forgive me for rambling, but I thought you'd like a diversion from the
usual
fare. Either that, or I've reached a state where I think someone could
be
interested. The plastic smell is really toxic.

Bill Hawkins
Bloomington, MN