[time-nuts] ADEV and Tau-0 guestion

Don @ True-Cal True-Cal at swbell.net
Sat Nov 1 23:17:40 UTC 2008

Hi Brooke,

Yes, I am aware of appendix B procedure. I am using that exact setup with the exception of how I feed A-Ch. Not sure why, but I get less jitter of 5-7ps when I use the "Source" Ref feature to feed the external reference derived 1KHz to the A-Ch. When I use the BNC "T" method, I see about 10-12ps jitter. For all practical purposes, I am setup like appendix B and I use the ARMing mode as described.

All that said. The problem is when I try to do back to back GPIB MEAS? reads of the counter, the request and reply datum and subsequent time stamp is not real predictable. The end goal here is not to adjust the UUT to an accurate frequency as covered in appendix B but rather to build a list of time deviations with a consistent sampling rate to feed to the Plotter program. If I use an ARM sample of 1000 (1.0 sec), I see pretty good stability, less at 100 samples (0.1 sec) and really bad at 10 or 1 sample. This limits my Tau-0 to 0.1 sec for a reasonable ADEV analysis.

Regards...
Don