[time-nuts] Checking accuracy of Rubidium standards

J. L. Trantham jltran at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 9 02:26:57 UTC 2008

I have been enjoying this discussion.

Since the original question was the desire to 'compare' the frequency of an
LPRO to a Z3801, it seems that you could consider that from two (at least)
perspectives.

Before I begin, I confess that I am a novice in this arena and please
correct me in any area that needs it.

The first perspective is the issue of frequency.  That seems to me to be the
issue of the average frequency of the LPRO versus the average frequency of
the Z3801.  Assuming that there is no gross difference of the 10 MHz
signals, a lissajous figure (X-Y display) on a scope with the appropriate
bandwidth amplifiers would be a reasonable initial approach.

Assuming that they are both near 10 MHz and you do not know which is the
most accurate (although the Z3801 would seem to be the default standard), if
it takes 10 minutes for a single cycle of the lissajous figure to complete,
then it is 1 cycle per 600 seconds difference between the two and therefore
the two are within 1/600 Hz or 1.67 mHz of each other.  If we assume that
they are both close to 10 MHz, then that is 1.67 parts in 10E-10 difference
between the two.  Is my logic faulty?

The other perspective is the issue of 'purity'.  That is to say, what is the
'frequency modulation' of the source?  This, I think, is the issue of phase
noise.  Correct?

That is something that I have not yet had a chance to contemplate as far as
how to measure.  It would appear to require a particularly stable (pure)
source as a reference though.  Various multiplying or dividing protocols
would seem to introduce a host of other variables that would seem to be
difficult to account for though they might accentuate an impurity in the
signal in question.  I have read Bruce's comments and I still do not
understand the basics of time stamping or how a sound card might provide
this.

I would appreciate any direction for further reading regarding this and I
would appreciate any direction/correction/etc. in the thoughts above.

Joe