[time-nuts] HP Z3801A Question

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 23:10:33 UTC 2008

Hello Ernie,

Glad your HP is still working well.

Well it seems you found out how well the Fury is working with an excellent
OCXO :)

The unit running in Mexico achieves similar performance with our standard
double oven OCXO, see for example:

   _http://resco.ucol.mx/Fury/gpsstat.htm_
(http://resco.ucol.mx/Fury/gpsstat.htm)

It has not jumped in several days, and the standard deviation is between
1.7ns to 1.8ns when it doesen't jump during the last 24 hours.

Yes, the TI as displayed by GPSCon is much better than the HP  unit. I think
this is mostly due to the much better GPS receiver in the Fury,  since the
OCXO of the HP unit is extremely good.

Tom and I had discussions about this being caused by the small  sawtooth
low-pass filtering we do on the TI intervall (Z3801A does the same  thing,
otherwise you would see the full GPS Sawtooth). The theory was that this  was what
was causing the Fury to be so much better on GPSCon.

To check this, we modified the firmware to completely remove this sawtooth
filtering, and output the raw data instead, with all the nasty sawtooth
artifacts on it.

This did not change the result much, I think the max range went from  +/-10ns
to +/-15ns if I remember correctly.

So even if we display true raw capture data, we are still significantly
better than the Z3801A which displays low-pass sawtooth filtered data.

I think this can mostly be attributed to the extremely good  performance of
the M12M GPS compared to the Oncore GPS in the HP unit.

Also, I think you will see that your HP unit will get better over time, as
the Crystal retraces and ages over the next weeks, and the control voltage
changes will hopefully get to be smaller and smaller on your unit.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 11/13/2008 14:38:57 Pacific Standard Time,