[time-nuts] ADEV secondary standard

Jeffrey Pawlan jpawlan at pawlan.com
Fri Nov 14 00:26:44 UTC 2008

The only difficulty at all is simply the instrument calibration. One must have
true knowledge about the noise bandwidth of the filter (usually a window) being
measured.

I do know that HP, NIST, and I have used simple CW carriers instead of noise for
the calibration. This is a good method for one offset frequency. In fact, it is
slighty more dependable and accurate being a single tone. Its only disadvantage
is that one needs to repeat this at every offset you want to calibrate so that
is why the noise method was invented.

Jeffrey Pawlan