[time-nuts] Oh the horror

Björn Gabrielsson bg at lysator.liu.se
Sun Nov 16 22:03:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 00:38 +1100, Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> Only this group will understand and suffer with this news...
>
> Our observatory has recently had three Russian hydrogen masers arrive (along
> with some Russians to install them).
>
> It turns out that one of the masers had a rough trip from Russia to
> Australia.
>
> It looks like the entire shipping case has been dropped or turned over from
> a reasonable height. The 7mm thick internal glass cylinder has been
> shattered and inside that the glass bulb has been smashed to bits.
>
> The whole unit is completely destroyed and useless.
>
> It's enough to make a grown man cry.

On a much smaller scale... but the "incident" shown in the attached
picture was no fun either... two old BVAs came the standard (brutal)
post service packed like in the picture.

One of the two got its glass bottle broken. :-(

Thanks to lucky circumstances it later got repaired and a good new
home.  :-))

--

    Björn