[time-nuts] WWV / WWVH / WWVB

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Thu Nov 20 22:06:22 UTC 2008

Brad,

I started with audio in 1950, got into receivers, never got into
transmitters, except some carrier current stuff. Only real difference
in receivers is the concept of tuned circuits for selectivity as
opposed to wide-band audio.

Well, there's also detection and AGC. Um, and mixing (hetrodyning)
or regeneration. Probably other stuff as well. Actually, audio amps
are pretty simple compared to 25 tube military receivers of the 50s.
And receivers are simpler than Caesium or Rubidium standards, or
precision frequency synthesizers.

The receiver that showed phase shift is a Lavoie LA800, s/n 125.
Receives WWV or WWVH on 5 or 15 MHz. Takes 0.05 to 10 MHz from
your standard and generates 10 MHz for the circular sweep. Beam
is intensity modulated by received signal cleverly converted to
10 MHz. Easier to see phase shift than Lissajous method.

The Specific Products receiver is the WWVC, with filters. Receives
WWV/H on 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and 20 MHz. Filters 400 or 600 Hz tones,
or ticks, or open for voice. Has audio output.

Both have 2" scope and speaker. The WWVC just has X and Y for
Lissajous figures. Have manual for each.

Bill Hawkins