[time-nuts] Oncore question

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Sun Nov 23 00:05:26 UTC 2008

Hello Morris,
I am not aware what is the voltage range for the backup battery in the GPS-RX,
but using a super cap or gold cap instead of a (rechargeable) battery
should be ok for short backup times, Synergy does even propose the use
of a SuperCap or UltraCapacitor as a backup power source for certain op. conditions.

What is the main difference to the use of batteries?
In capacitors, the voltage does directly follow the charging current amount
but batteries do hold the voltage in a certain area quite stable. Therfore
a battery with the same charge is more efficient but need long charging time
and the special capacitors can be charged very quick.

After your question I did want to know myself for what time these caps would serve.
My result:
For a backup current of 25 µA and allowing a voltage drop during the backup
of 0.5 V, the data will be safe for around 5 to 6 hours,

With only 5 µA backup current the time will be 5 times higher (abt. 27 h)
not counting for leakage or other discharge factors.

The very simple numerical assessment:

C = 1 F , U = 5 V (max. 5.5 V in gold caps?)
1 F charged to 5 V :
Q = 5 As,
U = I * T / C

Voltage drop per second for C = 1 F loaded to 5 V
U/s = 5 E - 6 * A * 5 V/ 1 A = 25 µV

Time for 500 mV drop down (from 5 V down to 4.5 V )
at a load current of 25 µA :
500 *10 ^-3 Vs / 25*10^-6 V = 20,000 s = 5 h 33 min

or:

Q = 5 V F = 5 V * 1 As / V = 5 As = 5 *10^6 µAs = 5.000.000 µAs
10 % of 5 V   => 500,000 µAs
A load of   5 µA gives 100,000 s = 27 3/4 h
A load of 25 µA gives   20,000 s =   5 1/2 h

Such big capacitors may be charged within parts of a second, if wanted,
but don't forget the Voltage Limit!

Good luck and regards
Arnold, DK2WT