[time-nuts] And, for my next trick, 50Hz

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 03:29:19 UTC 2008

Hi Tom,

2008/10/3 Tom Van Baak <tvb at leapsecond.com>:

> For standard (or Allan) deviation of mains frequencies, see:
>
> <Accuracy and stability of the 50 Hz mains frequency>
> http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~ptdeboer/misc/mains.html
>
> <60 Hz AC Mains Frequency Accuracy Measurement>
> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/mains/

Many thanks for these pointers, very interesting and useful work. This
does show that for a long sampling time, quite a high degree of
accuracy could be obtained. The downsides are that the sampling period
would have to be very long and could easily be affected by power cuts
causing failure to my proposed testing method. So theory proved but
impractical. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and go with a GPS
disciplined ocxo to make a good frequency standard.

Cheers,
Steve
--
Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD