[time-nuts] And, for my next trick, 50Hz

Chris Cheney chris.cheney at tesco.net
Fri Oct 3 19:10:20 UTC 2008

> > Electric clock time: "NGET will endeavour (in so far as it is able) to
> > control electric clock time to within plus or minus 10 seconds"
> > (http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/4894C7AA-DCD2-4835-9986-
> > 57338C31C86A/9922/BC3_i3r18.pdf - section BC3.4.3)
>
> For some reason I could not get this link down, it just keeps stopping
> about a third of the way through. The title does not give an idea of the
> nature of the period for which the 10 seconds drift is acceptable.

I don't have a problem with the page (using either Firefox or IE). FWIW
here is the whole of the relevant paragraph

BC3.4.3 Electric Time
NGET will endeavour (in so far as it is able) to control electric clock
time to within
plus or minus 10 seconds by specifying changes to Target Frequency, by
accepting bids and offers in the Balancing Mechanism. Errors greater than
plus
or minus 10 seconds may be temporarily accepted at NGET's reasonable
discretion.

I believe that they are saying that the accumulated phase error will
normally be less than 10 seconds worth, but that amount of phase error
may exist indefinitely.

73
Chris
G3RSE