[time-nuts] Getting NTP/Linux to work with GPS-DO?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Oct 20 21:26:01 UTC 2008

Bruce, unfortunately Linux doesn't play too nicely with PPS -- long
story, but you need to do patches to get even minimal functionality with
current kernels.

An option is to use a shared memory driver called shmpps (available from
http://time.qnan.org/).  I've done this in the past, but had a little
trouble keeping the driver running reliably; it would sometimes die
silently, causing loss of the PPS source.  However, I think I was using
an earlier version than the one that's on that web page.

Using this approach will let you use the PPS signal, but won't give you
coarse time via the serial data stream.  To get that, you can use the HP
driver in ntpd which supports the HP Z3801A/58503A command set.  I think
that the Jackson Fury emulates these commands, though I haven't tried it
with this driver.

But if you can, a FreeBSD system makes a *much* better ntp server.  I am
a Linux guy, but my primary ntp boxes all are slightly modified Soekris
4501A single-board computers running a stripped down FreeBSD.  They run
rings around anything else.

Hope this helps a bit.

John
----